Monday, March 23, 2009

Time Flies

My goal is to update this blog on a weekly basis...but you'll have to hold me to it because the weeks go by so fast here! Most of this week I spent working up at the new house in Maxfield. Almost all the doors are hung (there are 19!) The cabinets in the kitchen are all installed. Jen and I have been working on oiling the doors. We're using Danish oil to seal and protect all the woodwork in the house and there's so much of it! But it looks amazing when it's done. Beautiful! 


The well was also finished this week, so hopefully we'll have running water up there soon also! Nate got the floor in the apprentice bathroom and mud room tiled on Friday and grouted on Saturday. When Scott gets back from his latest job I think he's going to start working on the floor boards downstairs. We're looking at moving us and the goats around the beginning of May, but who knows what could happen between now and then. Goats start kidding April 1. We have 5 goats scheduled to kid on Friday April 10! That's a lot of kids! We were hoping to be moved before they kid, but that's definitely not happening. 

Speaking of goats! Jen and I gave all the ladies shots last night of CD/T - Its a vaccine for Tetanus. We gave them the shots while they were eating and they didn't even flinch. I learned to give them a shot in the skin behind their front leg...kinda like the goat's armpit. We also gave them a de-wormer. I had to straddle the goat at the shoulders and pull their heads against my belly and get a little tube in their mouth and squirt just a bit of it into their mouth. Some were easy and liked the taste...others were not so excited. Goats are strong! I'm also trying hard to learn all their names. Hopefully I can learn their names before they kid and then there will be more names to learn. I'll try to get some photos of the ladies up here later today. 

This weekend we have a market on Saturday. Nate and I will make mozzarella on Friday. And I'm sure I'll be up at Maxfield oiling more doors this week also.  Okay, time for a much needed shower. Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment