Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pawpaws to the People

Yesterday, I visited the Pawpaw festival with some Slow Food friends. The pawpaws were so good! Sweet and rich like custard. Banana/mango sweetness!! I finally met Chris from Integration Acres. Our Slow Food group would love to visit his farm, but understandably, he's been very busy lately. He was very busy yesterday handing out pawpaw samples along with a variety of products made with pawpaws, spicebush berries, and goat cheese!
Integration Acres added a small dairy goat herd a couple years ago and has been making cheese for about a year now. I tried the chevre. It's nice and mild. And when I tried it, I immediately wanted to try my hand at making some.

I also attended a short workshop yesterday that was more like a Q and A about goat farming. I felt pretty knowledgeable about everything they mentioned...which means I must be doing my homework...but I still have no actual goat experience. I spoke with one of the ladies giving the talk afterward. Her name is Jen and she has worked with goats on her family's farm for 14 years. She also currently works for Chris at Integration Acres and is responsible for daily milking of the goats. It was good to meet someone my age who is so experienced and knowledgeable with goats. We will definitely keep in touch. OEFFA is doing a forest harvesting workshop at Integration Acres on October 11. I will definitely be there. And hopefully, I can plan more visits soon.

Now the pawpaw festival is over.
Next is our Slow Food dinner at Flying J farm!
And immediately following that, I will be leaving for a 2 week vacation to Maine Next Sunday. I am visiting Olde Oak Farm and Appleton Creamery to learn more about their apprenticeships.
April will be here before I know it...and my own "year of the goat" will take shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment